Financial Planning is a planning process where you determine where you are today and where you want to be in pre-determined intervals in the future. It’s literally the “ Steps to Your Financial Future”. By planning your financial affairs, even for unexpected events, it keeps you in control of your finances and your future.
It’s hard work. Your plans will always evolve and change. Review your plans every year at a set time. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. That’s why we are here to help you.
Steps to Successful Financial Planning
- Complete a “ Net Worth Statement” A snapshot of where you are today
- Complete a “Budget Worksheet” To know where your money is going
- Set realistic financial goals. ( Short term, medium-term and long term)
- Example for; 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years and at retirement
- At what age do you want to retire
- Create an Objective plan by determining: ( In increments of time above)
- How much you can afford to save this month
- Pay off credit cards and debt
- Save for a vacation
- Save for a new vehicle
- Save for down payment on a new home
One of the most useful work sheets is your Net Worth Statement. Why? By completing every year, you can see at a glance where your income goes.
Have fun with this process. Yes, it can be very stressful. Money always is. The key is to “Pay Yourself First” before any bills and debts are paid. This simple habit will be a lifesaver in your financial plan. You are the most important person in your life.